Monday, April 12, 2021
Hello, Aanii, Bonjour,
I write to you today with important news on the future of academic programming at Laurentian University. Last week the Laurentian Academic Senate voted in support of a plan to close a number of programs which have had low or no enrolment over a number of years. The full list of those programs is included below.
We want you to know that we have also undertaken a review with respect to all continuing programs, where you may see some changes to reflect a consolidation of sections or merger of similar courses within existing programs.
These program changes, combined with the recently-announced termination of our agreements with the federated universities, will focus Laurentian’s academic offerings on those programs which are of higher demand. This focus will also allow us to further align our financial resources to ensure that these programs are adequately supported. Our ongoing program offerings remain extensive, and reflect the breadth of academic pursuits that are available at Laurentian.
We understand that this news will be difficult for those who are in programs affected by the closures, as well as programs that were administered by the Federated Universities. Although our Laurentian community is undergoing a tremendous amount of change, I want to assure you that students remain our first priority and that we continue to serve all our students, whether undergraduate or graduate, through our comprehensive suite of ongoing programs.
If you are studying in a program that is being impacted by these changes, detailed plans are available for each of you which provide a pathway to degree completion. For most of you, this will mean you will be able to complete the degree program which you started, with closed programs being “taught out” for existing students, but closed to new registrations. For a small number of students, Laurentian will assist you in transitioning to a related program. Know that we will do everything possible to help you select and transition to alternate related programs and courses of study within Laurentian.
This may be particularly challenging news for graduate students among you who are pursuing your studies under the guidance of faculty who may be personally affected by the restructuring, and we recognize that. Support will be provided to those who are impacted by program closures and whose primary supervisor may no longer hold a position at the University. Given the differential impact that graduate students might experience, depending on your progress to degree completion, both group and individual academic advising sessions will be available.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies will work with graduate students who are affected, and will do everything possible to identify a pathway for you to complete your degree at Laurentian. Laurentian will also offer assistance to facilitate a transfer to a graduate program at another university if required, or if that is what you prefer.
Ensuring your wellbeing
Students in affected programs are encouraged to reach out to their deans and other leaders to discuss the next steps in their academic path forward:
- Dr. Joël Dickinson, Faculty of Arts, at email@example.com
- Dr. Tammy Eger, Faculty of Graduate Studies, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Ginette Roberge, Faculté d’éducation, at email@example.com
- Dr. Patrice Milewski, Faculty of Education, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Dean Millar, Faculty of Science, Engineering and Architecture, at email@example.com
- Dr. Céline Larivière, Faculty of Health, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Michel Delorme, Faculty of Management, at email@example.com
We also take this opportunity to specifically note that credits previously earned through courses taught by the federated universities will be applied towards your Laurentian degree in the same manner as previously.
Additional supports for all Laurentian students have been put in place to ensure your wellbeing is prioritized as we move forward:
- The Student Success team, with support from multiple service departments including the deans, will be setting up Zoom sessions for students to ask questions.
- Academic advisors will also be available to assist you and can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can book academic advising appointments online at https://my.laurentian.ca/book.
- You can also access mental health counselling free of charge or engage with WellTrack, an interactive tool that focuses on anxiety, stress, and depression by registering at http://laurentian.welltrack.com/register.
- International students and out of province students equally can access the Keep.meSafe Mental Wellness Student Support Program 24/7 by downloading the My SSP or calling 1.844.451.9700 (In Canada and the US) / 1.416.380.6578 (Outside of North America).
The past two months have been difficult for the entire Laurentian community, and these changes will require a period of profound adjustment. But the progress made since February 1st to address these daunting challenges demonstrates our community’s ability and willingness to come together in the best interest of Laurentian and the students who are, and will continue to be, our first priority and our greatest pride.
Thank you, Miigwech, Merci,
Robert Haché, PhD
President and Vice-Chancellor
List of discontinued English language programmes
BA 4 years Concurrent education (Primary-Junior)
BSc 4 years Concurrent education (Primary-Junior)
BFA – Music
BFA – Music Performance
Civil Engineering (first 2 years)
Concurrent Education – Pro year (Primary-Junior)
Major Restoration Ecology
Radiation Therapy – Michener
Web Data Management
Workplace and Labour Studies
List of discontinued French language programmes
Droit et politique
Éducation – intermédiaire/supérieur
Études de l’environnement
Littérature et culture francophone
Nursing – Boreal
Outdoor Adventure Leadership (FR)
Promotion de la santé
Science du language
List of discontinued graduate programmes
Maîtrise – Histoire – essai
Maîtrise – Histoire – thèse
Maîtrise – Sociologie – essai
Maîtrise – Sociologie – thèse
Masters – Experimental Psychology
Masters – History – essay
Masters – History – Thesis
Masters – Humanities
Masters – Physics
Masters – Sociology – essay
Masters – Sociology – thesis